Dr Ruth Blackham is an Australian-trained Surgeon with two years of subspecialty Fellowships in Bariatric, Upper GI and Metabolic Surgery.
Dr Blackham is the only Surgeon to have won both the AMA WA Junior Doctor of the Year and the John Corboy Medal (highest award for a Surgical Trainee) from the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons. Having completed 19 years of training in medicine and surgery she undertook a Winston Churchill Memorial Trust Fellowship in 2015 learning from surgeons in Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Singapore, London and Vienna. Dr Blackham undertook further specialist training in bariatric surgery and was awarded the IFSO Asia Pacific Medtronic scholarship in London as well as the ANZGOSA-Upper GI Younger Fellow scholarship.
Ruth is also heavily involved in academic pursuits, as a graduate of Master of Surgery specialising in laparoscopic and minimally-invasive surgery under the supervision of Professor Hamdorf. She is currently a PhD candidate at the University of Western Australia studying surgical excellence and methods of assessing the performance of surgeons. She is also a representative for College of Surgery activities, as a member of the Skills Oversight Committee and the Prevocational Skills and Education Committee of RACS.
She is dedicated to ensuring surgical safety and quality practice, as well as a kind and caring demeanour. She has a passion for a healthy lifestyle and is a passionate advocate for engaging in patient’s wellbeing and future health goals.
- Western Surgical Health, 51 Hampden Road, Nedlands, PERTH (Tuesdays and Wednesdays)
- Great Southern Specialist Centre, 55 Cockburn Road, Miramar, ALBANY (monthly Mondays)
- Queensgate Specialist Centre, CANNING VALE (fortnightly Mondays)
- The Mount Hospital, Perth 6000
- Hollywood Private Hospital, Nedlands 6009
- St John of God, Subiaco 6008
- Bethesda Hospital, Claremont 6010
- MBBS Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (University of Western Australia)
- MS Master of Surgery (University of Western Australia)
- MLegM Master of Legal Medicine (Griffith University, Qld)
- DCH Diploma of Child Health (Princess Margaret Hospital for Children)
- DRANZCOG Diploma of Royal Australian/NZ College of Obstetrics & Gynaecology
- VGDWH Vocational Graduate Diploma in Women’s Health (King Edward Memorial Hospital for Women)
- FRACS Fellowship of The Royal College of Surgeons
- FACLM Fellowship of the Australian College of Legal Medicine
- Bariatric surgery
- Removal of Gastric Bands
- Sleeve Gastrectomy
- Gastric bypass surgery
- General Surgery
- Gallbladder surgery
- Hernia surgery (all types of abdominal/groin hernias, mesh and non-mesh repairs)
- AMA – Australian Medical Association
- RACS – Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
- GSA – General Surgeons Australia
- ANZGOSA – Aust & NZ Gastric and Oesophageal Surgery Association
- ANZMOSS – Aust & NZ Metabolic and Obesity Surgery Society (formerly OSSANZ)
- IFSO – International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity and Metabolic Disorders